Have you experienced health problems from Medtronic Infuse bone grafts? You may want to seek assistance from an attorney who is knowledgeable about Medtronic Infuse. A Medtronic Infuse lawyer can help answer your questions about how to file personal injury lawsuits about this product. A personal injury lawyer can consult with you about the results of your bone graft and make legal recommendations about Medtronic Infuse.
Why Infuse is controversial
Research on Infuse has been questionable. Medtronic pays doctors to use Infuse in situations that go above and beyond the uses approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).1 Medtronic has also funded research that portrays Infuse positively, downplaying the risks of the product.2
The U.S. Department of Justice investigated Medtronic’s influence on research studies but closed the investigation in 2012 without penalizing the company.3 Shareholders have also sued Medtronic for promoting off-label uses of Infuse. Most of the doctors who use Infuse now use it in contexts beyond those approved by the FDA.1
What risks Infuse poses
Infuse can cause side effects affecting many parts of the body,4 including but not limited to:
- Bone conditions: damage to the implants, posture changes, bone fracture or failure to fuse, migration of the implants, abnormal bone formation, and bone formation in the wrong locations
- Nervous system problems: nerve damage or spinal cord damage
- Digestive system issues: digestive problems or issues with urination or bowel movements
- Neurological difficulties: paralysis
- Tissue damage: scars, infections, or damage to the tissue surrounding the spinal cord
- Circulatory system problems: bleeding or vein problems
- Reproductive issues: sterility or fetal development problems
- Respiratory problems: breathing problems
The other side effects of Infuse include death, pain, cancer,3 and/or reactions to surgery or anesthesia.
How you can seek legal assistance
You have multiple options for pursuing legal action if you believe Infuse has caused health problems for you. An attorney can help you decide which options to choose. You may be able to file one of the following types of lawsuits:
- A lawsuit against Medtronic claiming the product is defective
- A lawsuit to recover damages for pain and suffering caused by the product
- A lawsuit related to a wrongful death
A Medtronic Infuse lawyer can point you in the right direction and help you file a lawsuit if you decide to pursue one. You may be able to work with a personal injury lawyer to receive compensation for the health problems you have experienced. Seeking a lawyer for Medtronic Infuse problems can also be your first step toward improving the quality of bone grafts for future surgery patients.